What are the topics covered and which workshop is for me?
All of the music theory workshops include ear training and basic chart writing techniques. Whenever possible, songs written by the students are used in class as examples!
- Think you could skip basic theory 1 and go straight to basic theory 2?
- Need further assistance deciding?
- Prefer one-on-one or a live online workshop?
…CONTACT: firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-330-8980.
Topics Covered in the workshops:
|BASIC THEORY 1
- What’s a key?
- Change the key of a melody
- Create a basic chart of a song
- Read / write notes on the staff
- Whole, half, quarter and eighth notes
- Enharmonic Notes
- Stems and beams
- Whole steps and half steps
- Build a major scale
- Time signatures
- Chords in a major key – Intro
- Intervals – Intro
- Key Signatures – Intro
- Roman Numerals – Intro
- Slash rhythmic notation
- Bar lines
- Measure numbers
- Song sections
- Repeat signs
- Repeats with numbered endings
- Chord placement above a rhythmic figure
- Lyric “cues”
- Metronome markings
|BASIC THEORY 2
- Change the key of a song
- Harmonize a melody
- Minor Keys
- Transcribe and notate chord progressions
- Create a more detailed chart or lead sheet of a song
- Ties and dotted notes
- Sixteenth notes
- Time signatures continued
- Chords in a major key continued
- Intervals – continued
- Roman numerals
- Adding 7ths to chords
- Key signatures continued
- 2/4 bars
- Rehearsal marks
- D.S., Coda, D.C.
- Rhythmic hits
- Instrument Cues
|ONE-DAY INTENSIVE BASIC THEORY WORKSHOP
Basic Theory material starting from scratch.
BASIC THEORY 3
This 4-week workshop is a continuation of Basic Theory 2 with more discussion on harmony, modulations, complex chord structure and rhythmic notation.
Topics covered and not covered in Basic Theory 1 and 2 will be addressed as they come up but a good grasp of the basics is highly recommended.